Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Wide Wiff Ben

A Wide Wiff Ben

By Wicks Gwanville

When out for a walk with young Ben,

It helped me to feel my youth again,

For he is quite unwittingly, a comedian,

Who wants to know everything, why & when!

Just genial sort of happy 5 year old chat,

Like, ‘does that hole belong to a mouse or a little wat?’

‘Is that where it runs away from a hungry tat?’

‘With all the sugar tane around, it’s probably very fat’

As he rides his bike along the gravel wode,

He chatters happily in his own code

And when he wode into a small wok, he produced a squealing ode.

Each new observation, a happy exciting episode

‘Is that a new water pump I see over there?’

‘Yes it is’, I answered only too happy to share.

‘Where is the old one?’ he asked with care.

‘Someone stole it!’ I said with despair.

‘Who nitched it?’ he asked, wanting to explore.

‘I don’t know. They took it in the night’, I said still feeling sore

‘He nitched it, is going to use it for himself for sure,

And maybe he’ll come back again,’ he said ‘and steal some more’

His mind tested all the things a wobber could do

And very involved picture he ably drew

‘He could steal your pipes & your sugar tane too!’

With all Ben’s excitement I couldn’t feel blue.

With one foot on the handle bar he said ’Hey, look at me!’

And very nearly smashed into a tree.

This time was a time for fun & he felt carefree

Despite life’s problems, he gave me a different perspective to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

daddy i love it....I can hear it, so close. I love it.